SOA Consultant (Java, Oracle, Web) - European Commission
Nature of Tasks
Our customer is in charge of managing, defending and developing the customs union as a vital part of protecting the external borders of the EU. You will join the team in charge of The Customs IT Systems sector of unit R5 is responsible for:
- The system development lifecycle of all Customs IT systems;
- The maintenance of the operational planning for systems development and deployment;
- The co-ordination of the implementation and maintenance of all Customs IT systems in EU in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders;
- The supervision of their operational functioning and the production of related statistics, dashboards etc.;
- The system development lifecycle methodology for all Customs IT systems;
- The application development framework for all Customs applications;
- The maintenance of a repository for all artefacts of Customs IT systems
The requested Application Architect provides the required services to the responsible official to assure the overall consistency of the IT architecture required to the correct implementation of the Customs IT projects as defined in the Electronic Customs Multi-Annual Strategic Plan (MASP) and to guarantee the continuity of the existing customs IT systems and applications. More in particular, he/she will supervise the architectural elements constituting the application platform and assure the correct integration of the application components within the overall IT architecture.
- Understand the overall customs processes in order to be able to determine the required IT architectural requirements. More explicitly, the relationships between the customs business layer and the IT service layer is of major importance;
- Determine the IT architectural requirements and translate them into an action and project plan;
- Propose and supervise the application platform implementation designed to host the required customs application components in an SOA environment;
- Investigate the possible re-use of already existing implementations in the Commission or in the Member States;
- Evaluate technical proposals of the customer's contractors;
- Supervise the implementation of the required architectural elements by the external contractor(s);
- Ensure that the IT architectural elements required for the customs application components are aligned with other infrastructure layers and components such as CCN2 and UUM;
- Participate in brainstorming, meetings and workshops with contractors, Member States and/or other partners;
- Produce and/or review documents. This includes system and application architecture documents.
Education and Experience
We are looking for application architects with experience in:
- Minimum 5 years of recent practical experience in IT systems architecture and design;
- Capability for modelling components, data and services;
- Capability for specification of service interfaces, service data and reference models;
- Good knowledge of interoperability technology (e.g. web services, message oriented middleware, service oriented bus);
- Capability for modelling service data and reference models;
- Good knowledge of service implementation patterns (synchronous, asynchronous, request/response, etc), distributed system design and messaging layer;
- Experience in architecture modelling tools;
- Experience in international/multicultural environment and public administration are assets.
- Experience in architecture methodology o In-depth knowledge of service implementation patterns (synchronous, asynchronous, request/response, publish and subscribe, etc.), distributed system design and messaging layer;
Knowledge and skills
Software development in Java
- Web based projects
- User interfaces based on JSF, ExtJS, JQuery, or similar
- Development of SOA projects. Being familiar with Oracle SOA infrastruture would be an asset
Deep technical knowledge of IT technology; the list of possibly required skills for a specific position includes but is not limited to:
- Interoperability: SOA, ESB, MOM
- Master Data Management o IT protocols: MQ Series, WS, HTTP(S), SMTP, SNMP, etc.
- EDIFACT, XML, XSLT, etc.
- Security, Identity and Access Management
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to cope with fast-changing technologies used in application architecture;
- Very strong capability for analysis, comparison and summary;
- Strong capability for writing and presentation of clear documents;
- Strong capability in to give high level presentations
- Very good knowledge of English
- French is an asset but not mandatory
What do we offer ?
As an employee you receive the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment.
- Next to a stable, growing employer we offer you an attractive salary combined with various extra-legal advantages (company car, meal vouchers, insurance package, etc.).
- Because work is part of life, we try to create a pleasant environment where you can focus yourself on your projects, but also have fun with colleagues.
- At Trasys International, part of NRB Group, you learn every day because you are motivated to share your knowledge with other specialists and to acquire new skills from your colleagues
More detailed information may be obtained at the time of your interview.
Freelancers are also welcome for this vacancy.