Software Consultant (Java, Oracle) - European Commission
Nature of Tasks
The team is responsible for creating and maintaining IT systems for managing human resources at the European Commission. These systems assist DG “Human Resources” and the Pay Master Office in carrying out their tasks in the various fields relating to human resources management (in collaboration with the human resources managers in the other Directorates-General) and financial rights.
The list non exhaustive of these information systems (IS) is as follows:
- Corporate HRM IS (MiPS, Sysper2, etc.)
- Administrative IS (Assmal2, Sermed-eHR, NDP, Recart90, Systat2, etc.)
- Financial rights IS (NAP, Payment Factory, etc.)
All these information systems are built upon Oracle databases.
The team wishes to obtain the expertise of a Software Consultant for the MIPS application, which is the application for processing business trips in the Commission and other Institutions: from the encoding of a travel order, via the declaration of expenses and budget quotas' distribution within the DG's, until its liquidation by PMO officers.
Non-exhaustive list of the tasks to be carried out:
- Provision of expert advice and assistance, technology watch, evaluation studies, architectural considerations, applicable standards, solution patterns and best practices in a specific area of ICT infrastructure technology (e.g. database management systems, Java Enterprise technology, enterprise & web content management, XML, application life cycle management, test driven development)
- Provision of quality plans, quality assessments, quality control tests, evaluations and service level agreements associated with information system infrastructure services or projects
- Assistance in the implementation of a software engineering methodology
- Provision of security studies, security assessments and other specific security matters related to ICT infrastructures
- Elaboration of functional and non-functional requirements and business case analysis related to the area of expertise
- Elaboration of vision documents focused upon infrastructure components
- Review of Information Systems Infrastructure Architectures
- Provision of technical evaluations and audit reports in relation with information systems infrastructure.
- At least 16 years of work expertise (including IT studies)
- Good knowledge of relational database management technology.
- Good knowledge of application Servers: BEA Weblogic 11 and higher.
- Good knowledge of GUI frameworks (e.g. SWING, SWT, etc.)
- Knowledge of information systems infrastructure matters
- Knowledge of service oriented architecture and design of Internet applications
- Knowledge of information systems security
- Knowledge of ICT consulting and the realisation of ICT studies (aptitude to write clear and structured technical documents)
Due to the particular nature of a large international organisation such as the European Commission, candidates should also have the following non-technical skills:
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment, on a large project
- Ability to participate in multilingual meetings, fluent oral and written communication in both French and English
- Ability to write documentation in English
- Ability to work in a team
As the applications managed and maintained contain personal and confidential data, a high degree of discretion and integrity is required from all our staff members.
- The work will be carried on the Commission’s premises in Luxembourg. Occasional missions to Brussels may be required.
- The methodology used for development is based on RUP.
- The tool used for database design is TOAD.
- The technical environment is based on Oracle 11 (or higher) and Weblogic 12 (or higher).
What do we offer ?
As an employee you receive the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary and international environment.
- Next to a stable, growing employer we offer you an attractive salary combined with various extra-legal advantages (company car, meal vouchers, insurance package, etc.).
- Because work is part of life, we try to create a pleasant environment where you can focus yourself on your projects, but also have fun with colleagues.
- At Trasys International, part of NRB Group, you learn every day because you are motivated to share your knowledge with other specialists and to acquire new skills from your colleagues
More detailed information may be obtained at the time of your interview.
Freelancers are also welcome for this vacancy.